I have spent most of today in the library. What a waste? Maybe, maybe not. I finished about 1/4 (possibly) of my Gothic paper, and it’s due Thursday. The reason I am posting so early is, well, I’m taking a break from school, giving my brain a rest. And I figured I’d put up this little piece that I was working on, today at the libary, towards my longer work. So, here it is:
We sat down at the dinner table, the three of us. Some concoction of rice and beef lay steaming on potholders. We were using the real plates tonight because we ran out of paper ones. “Will you say the blessing with us?” I looked up and declined very calmly. She gave me a confused glance, almost as if she had misunderstood me. No. I wasn’t going to pray in this house of hypocrites. I do not seek to renounce God, but I will not pray with you. House of Hypocrites. Saturday night sinners cannot be Sunday morning saints.
This was what I was thinking about today. The last line is quoted (paraphrased) from a song my Uncle David wrote some years back (I’m not sure the exact name of the song either), but the quote goes like this, “You can’t be a Saturday night sinner and a Sunday morning saint.”
Anyways, I might be back later to post up something new, but you avid readers will have to wait to see if I do.
Ohhh, I almost forgot. I posted up my Book Wish List on the last post, but I figured I’d put it right out here in front for everyone to see, at least until another post comes along and pushes this one down the page.
- A Summer of Faulkner: As I Lay Dying/The Sound and the Fury/Light in August (Oprah’s Book Club) [BOX SET] William Faulkner
- Before Writing: Rethinking the Paths to Literacy Gunther Kress
- Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases, and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature (17th Edition) John Bartlett
- The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald
- This Side Of Paradise F. Scott Fitzgerald
- William Shakespeare: The Complete Works William Shakespeare
- The Complete Sherlock Holmes Arthur Conan Doyle
- Of Human Bondage W. Somerset
- Atlas Shrugged Ayn Rand
- The Winter of Our Discontent John Steinbeck
- The Steinbeck Centennial Collection: The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, East of Eden, The Pearl, Cannery Row, Travels With Charley, In Search of America (Boxed Set) John Steinbeck
- The Call of the Wild Gary Paulsen
Okay, now I’m off to get something to eat, watch Supernatural, then go through a grueling night of essay writing…