1. susie
    susie Published |

Hmm. I may have to watch that video.

Michele sent me!

2. kenju
    kenju Published |

Hi, Justin, Michele sent me. Those are interesting answers to the questions. What stood out for me was the part about your parents not wanting to buy a lot of stuff online. I used to buy online, and I was not at all afraid of it – but the ability to do that can get you into trouble if you are not diligent about the amounts of money you are spending, either by credit or debit. I know several people who got into credit problems due to addictive buying practices online. Maybe that is what their worries are.

3. Natasha
    Natasha Published |

Hi Justin!

I really liked your interview answers – they are well formulated and quite wise! I am also going to go check out Facebook

Michele sent me :-)

4. Carmi
    Carmi Published |

Hi Justin. Back from Michele’s. As a technology analyst by day, I relate very well to this entry. I like your perspectives on simplicity. I often wish the entire industry would follow suit.

5. Justin
    Justin Published |

Kenju, that is a good way to think about it. But, my parents don’t like the idea of identity theft and people stealing card numbers. I try to assure them that buying online is as safe as buying from a store with your card. They do use eBay to buy some things that you can’t find anywhere. My dad has a bottle collection, and he’s trying to get all the caps to go with the bottles that are missing theirs.

I agree with that also Carmi. We must keep devices simple, but technologically powerful. No one wants to carry around 5 devices in their pockets. But, at the same time, no one wants to have a phone with great service, but mediocre camera, music, and notekeeping abilities.

There is still so many that are unwilling to change, and change is so rapid, technologically speaking, today. To keep up in today’s world, we must be able and willing to adapt to new technology. And companies must present new technology in a way that will allow ease of use by everyone.

6. tiggerprr
    tiggerprr Published |

I was intrigued with your answers. As the parent of a 17 year old, I’m interested in her use of technology. Although, because my husband and I fully embrace our inner geek, we’re more tech-savvy than she is. Though, I can’t for the life of me understand why her generation texts people rather than just calling them on the cell phone.

I find it interesting that you use Facebook to communicate with your friends rather than email. This might explain why some of my younger friends will communicate with me via MySpace more readily than email.

Thanks for your blog, Justin. You’re a nice window to the younger world for me. Even though, I’m only old enough to be your VERY older sister. ;)

7. Justin
    Justin Published |

A parent more tech-savvy than their child today. That’s a little weird. But, my 20-year-old sister, Amy, isn’t technologically apt either. We had to teach her how to use email when she first got to college. She is now running a blog though. Well, I’m running it (I designed it and uploaded wordpress to it ). You can always visit her at Amy N Russell.com. I think she’ll get the hang of things eventually.

I am glad that you and your husband embrace your inner geeks. It makes life a bit easier for some of us youngsters when we have people a LITTLE BIT older who can relate to us in our technology use.

I don’t get the texting thing either. Well, I probably would be doing it myself if my friends did. Some of the friends that I would probably text message don’t have the texting service with their cell phone plan. So, I don’t really use it that much because of that.

8. tiggerprr
    tiggerprr Published |

I think it’s because we’re just on this side of the computer revolution that we’re the geeks we are. I took the very first computer programming class my school system offered (BASIC), I played video games in Japan when I was in Jr. High and have always been interested in the latest technologies. Hubby, was one of Gateway’s first 50 employees, when it started in a barn. We’re just young enough to join your generation in using the latest and greatest and old enough to remember what it was like not to have all the nifty gadgets. hehe