1. tiggerprr
    tiggerprr Published |

Wow, that theory about abortion is very intriguing. I’ll have to see if the book is at the library.

2. Amy Russell
    Amy Russell Published |

Hey, brother. I missed that I didn’t get to talk long today. I was going to call tonight, but I got to working out and the time just flew. Miss you!!! by the way, I’m not finished with the book yet but it is super great! love you

3. Utenzi
    Utenzi Published |

Michele sent me over, Justin.

I read and reviewed this book a while back, Justin. I really like the arguments in it but still was a little pissed off by the business side. The economics of it, if you will. The book is regularly priced but was essentially just a padded version of the article that appeared in New York Times Magazine. As a result, I felt ripped off after reading it. But I admit the writing and examples in the book are quite interesting.

4. Mr. Althouse
    Mr. Althouse Published |

This is quite a site you have here. I’m very impressed. It’s funny, I hooked up to the Stanford VAX while in high school (with a telephone coupler) and to the SDSU VAX with my very first computer, a Commodore 64 and a 1200 baud VicModem. I have taken Pascal, Fortran, assembly and, of course, basic coded on punch cards. I even did the course work to take the MCSE tests under NT 4.0. I could put together a network! Yet, somehow throughout all that, I missed catching and riding the HTML and web design wave, Funny, huh?

It’s ok. Turns out I can write too!

Thanks for visiting my humble blog,

Mike

5. Moon
    Moon Published |

Well that made me want to read more….I will certainly keep my eyes open for that book in future, very interesting indeed..thanks

Here via michels

6. Begered
    Begered Published |

This is a great book. I haven’t read it cover to cover but I skimmed through a lot of it. It has some really interesting theories. Great read.

7. sophie
    sophie Published |

I also found the book to be very eye opening. I’m generally a fiction reader, and generally *not* interested in economics–so for me to like it was a big deal.

8. Justin
    Justin Published |

I really enjoyed the book. However, I’m getting to a point where I want to switch back over to fiction. I’ve got to finish Citizen Cyborg before I make the switch.

9. jez
    jez Published |

it is a great book indeed, I have read it in german (yes they did even bother translating that to german :p) and I must say, I particularly enjoy the story with the drug dealers, what a great write-up!

10. Justin
    Justin Published |

I loved the story with the drug dealers. Even as a hopeful journalist, I don’t know if I could’ve gotten myself so deep into the mix though. It seems a bit scary.

11. Jenn
    Jenn Published |

It’s the same type of overly simplistic rationales and cheaply drawn conclusions that were used to justify racism, slavery, sexism, you name it throughout history.

Levitt and Dubman came up with a gimmick, an easy way to avoid having to do the complex research and examination of statistics their field requires. They matched an outcome they found attractive to a query and have been preaching this and making money and names for themselves out of it.

What you all should be contemplating is how easy it is for you to buy into the stereotypes promoted in the book, how easy it is to avoid having to think critically and do the work that would blow their overly facile premises out of the water. In short, you show yourselves to be no different than the slave owners, the pimps, the fascist thugs of history.

12. Justin
    Justin Published |

Actually, I found the research to be quite compelling. There is an extensive list of research (20+ pages) in the “Notes” section at the end of the book. Obviously, all the factors of certain issues were not presented because they were taking a stance on a particular side of those issues.

All of us are not falling blindly in line, buying into stereotypes. We’re presented with facts and opinions, and we make the judgments ourselves. This book simply gives us another argument, another viewpoint to look from. It does not mean that we, or the writers, did not think critically about the issues presented.

Freakonomics is an interesting read. It’s up to the reader to decide what they think of its contents.

13. muen
    muen Published |

Freakonomics has to be one of the most interesting books I have ever read. Besides the examples given in the book, the relationships between cause and effect have an entire new meaning in my perspective when observing the world around me.
    My 2 cents…try “cadillac desert” & or “grooming gossip & the evolution of language” if you liked Freakonomics.