1. Cindy Swanson
    Cindy Swanson Published |

Justin, “Wuthering Heights” has been one of my favorite books for many years. Given the fact that Emily Bronte was a clergyman’s daughter who never ventured from their secluded parish, it’s amazing that she created characters with such intensity. Her sister Charlotte’s “Jane Eyre” is probably my favorite book besides the Bible.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

2. Justin
    Justin Published |

Yes, that was an amazing feat, to write a story without that kind of life experience. I’ve thought about Reading Jane Eyre because so many others in my class have said that it’s one of their favorite books. I’ll have to add it to my to-read list.

3. Veda
    Veda Published |

I struggled through the character list in high school, getting lost for not really paying attention and reading consistently. Perhaps I’ll try this one again. I think I’m more prepared now after having (finally!) seen “Gone With the Wind.”

And I second “Jane Eyre.” There’ve been some greats in recent years, but I’m hard pressed to say it’s no longer my all-time favorite. Plus, Charlotte’s writing seems a bit more subtle on the dramatics.

4. Justin
    Justin Published |

High school reading hardly goes well. In my experience, I’ve seen teachers tell students to read books that are well above the level they should be reading at. It’s like, they make you read all the classics, no matter how difficult they may be. Of course, not everyone nor every book is a problem, but I’ve seen this way too many times.

And, I don’t think Wuthering Heights is an ideal book for a high school reading list. I know some people will disagree because they read it in high school, understood it, and loved it, but I know I wouldn’t have.

By the way, be sure to check out my new website, Books In Bed.

5. Veda
    Veda Published |

Justin, I read that on my own. :) Classes in hs had us on “Macbeth” and “Catcher in the Rye”… The Shakespeare stuck, the Salinger very much did not.

6. Justin
    Justin Published |

Sorry, I didn’t really think about that. I just assumed it was an assigned reading. I also didn’t want to imply that you didn’t have the brain power to read it back then either. :)

I guess my reply can still stand though. High school reading assigmnents usually aren’t good.

I read Catcher in the Rye last summer, and I really enjoyed it. I think it’s on the banned books list now though. I’m not sure if all high schoolers are still reading it.

7. Chris Bates
    Chris Bates Published |

Hey Justin,

You should give Anti-Christ: A Satirical End of Days a try. Funny as hell…as long as you don’t take Christianity too seriously. I think the author has an official site. Can’t remember it off the top of my head though.