1. Lady G~
    Lady G~ Published |

You’ll be embarking on an awesome adventure! My friend’s son is presently in China teaching English. He is having a wonderful time.

My two oldest hope to teach English in Japan once they graduate from their university. They chose Japan because the last few years we’ve hosted Japanese exchange students.

You’ll have to blog about it. I’m sure they would love to hear about your adventure.

May God bless you on your endeavors.

2. Justin
    Justin Published |

That sounds cool. My mom and grandmother are having a bit of a hard time letting me go, but you seem to be all right with your children leaving the country.

I’m just too excited right now. Direct them to my blog once I get out there, and maybe they’ll learn something from my experience.

3. Shanna
    Shanna Published |

Hello Justin,
    I will soon embark on the same journey you are currently endeavoring. I am also going through g’daykorea and will be leaving for korea later this month. Please keep blogging and let us all know what you are experiencing! I will be teaching in Suwon maybe we can meet up.
    Shanna

4. Ivy
    Ivy Published |

That sounds great! How exciting! Sounds like over all you have had a good summer!

5. Justin
    Justin Published |

Thank you all for the comments. Shanna, we should definitely meet up. I’ll probably need a friend to go exploring the city with.

6. tiggerprr
    tiggerprr Published |

I’ve been wondering about you!! Good luck and please do blog about your adventures! :) I lived in Japan while growing up, and I loved it. I hope you find your time there rewarding and enriching! :)

7. Shanna
    Shanna Published |

So how are this going with Goodday Korea and the new school situation? Has G’day taken care of you? keep blogging! I am interested in how your experiences are going so far.

8. Justin
    Justin Published |

So far, so good. I’m actually waiting right now for someone to pick me up from the hotel. I’ll blog as soon as I get a chance and know more about what’s going on.

9. Austin Bishop
    Austin Bishop Published |

Justin,

My name is Austin Bishop and I have been offered a position with Goodday Korea. Anyways, I received my B.A. from LSU several years ago and I am considering this position either in Seoul or on the outskirts. Please provide me with any feedback on preferences.

Thanks,

Austin

10. Justin
    Justin Published |

Thanks for writing Austin. Although I’ve only been here a month and half, I have enjoyed most of my time here. I actually live in the Bundang area, which I guess you can say is the outskirts.

Where you want to work really depends on what kind of city you personally like to live in. Some of the larger areas, spefically the main part of Seoul, can get overly crowded at times. The area I live in is just right for me because I enjoy having a grocery store, a few convenient stores, the Samsung Plaza, and lots of places to eat nearby, but it’s not too crowded. Well, on the weekends it can be.

I think a better reference about places to live might be the couple from The Daily Kimchi. I believe they lived in Seoul. But, if you would be satisfied with a smaller city setting, I would definitely recommend the Bundang district.

What schools are offering you a job? I work at Avalon English, which has been great.

11. Tyson
    Tyson Published |

I like your story and hope to see more of you during this amazing adventure in S-E-O-U-L. Let’s get a pint.

12. Justin
    Justin Published |

Tyson
    It’d be great to meet up sometime if you’re over here teaching. Unless you’re the Tyson I’ve met already. It’s hard to tell because I’ve met so many people thus far.

13. Chris
    Chris Published |

I would take it that G’Day Korea is a faily reputable outfit, from what you have said. I realize that they are just the recruiters at the beginning of the process, but I would that is the most crucial period. If you have any specific observations to make let me know. Also, I have lived in coastal South Florida all my life. My area isn’t as urbanized as most parts of Florida. I have a master’s degree (but no teaching background) and I am in my mid-30′s. I was just wondering if you had any thoughts on what part of Korea and what age groups you might recommend for me.

14. Justin Tadlock
    Justin Tadlock Published |

Chris
    You should definitely read So, you wanna teach English in South Korea?. I talk a little more about G’day in that post. I hear there are some better recruitment agencies out there. I’m trying to keep the discussion going on at that post.

With a master’s degree, you can probably teach whatever age group you want. What is your degree in?

15. Dan
    Dan Published |

Hello Justin,

16. wes
    wes Published |

teaching English is big time biz in Japan which is why even NHK produce their own English language learning programs even though most are lousy – thous some are more entertaining than educational :) http://www.japansugoi.com/wordpress/nhk-english-learning-show-with-chad-mullane/

17. ned
    ned Published |

Hi Justin!

I stumbled across your blog online and I noticed you said that you are working for Avalon English. I would love to hear a bit about your experience with them – how has it been? I was offered a teaching position with them, but I have heard mixed reviews so I’m eager to learn more. I would be teaching at their Bundang IVY campus (don’t know if you know anything about that particular branch). Regardless, any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.