1. Amy Russell
    Amy Russell Published |

Hey I miss you very very much. I hope you are having a blast! I am in OK but I just passed by the starbucks and decided to kind of say hey to you. I was thinkin of you and missed you. I love you.

2. Amy Russell
    Amy Russell Published |

I miss you and love you very much. I hope your having a blast in Korea!!!!! I am having fun in OK but I miss you, which doesn’t count because you are not at home anyway. I love you big brother! love always- amy

3. Justin
    Justin Published |

I’m glad you stopped by Amy. I am having a blast. I hope Oklahoma is more than just “fun.” I hope it’s an adventure of a lifetime.

I hope you got my message from Ayn Rand:

“Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamp of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all.”

It’s very important that you keep this with you throughout your life.

4. amy
    amy Published |

Justin,
    I miss you so much. Don’t be homesick!! I’ve been in OK for only a week but the last thing I am, honestly, is homesick. I love it here. I can’t wait to just move from atlanta and turn the page in my life. by the way, are you still gonna love me if I divorce your best friend? love you

5. Daniel Tatum
    Daniel Tatum Published |

Mississippi State Edges Auburn 19-14 …..

I don’t know if you are keeping up with AU this year so I wanted to inform you that we are not doing so well. It’s borderline embarrassing given our last 6 years of excellence. If I know you, I’m sure that you are aware of this, but I did read your blog about limited battery power for your computer so I thought your priorities might not have included college football. Anyway, write me back man… I’ll talk to you again soon. Hope you are having fun.. (sorry, in a rush today…)

6. Justin
    Justin Published |

Danny, sorry I haven’t e-mailed you yet (limited battery and all). I haven’t really been keeping up with football, but Daddy’s been telling me a little about what’s going on. It’s sad that we lost to Miss. State. As long as we beat Alabama, I don’t care how many games we lose.

7. Wanda
    Wanda Published |

That miss st. game was a good one.

8. Saitoko
    Saitoko Published |

Hello! You don’t know me, and this comment will really sound like it’s coming out of left field, but I randomly found this particular entry and wanted to let you know how much I can relate. I find myself missing home and family constantly. Some days it affects me much more strongly than others, but I know exactly what you mean by never being able to go home again. As much as I want to, that place in time just doesn’t exist anymore. Returning to the site where all of the wonderful memories took place in the past doesn’t really help, either, does it…I tried that once and found out the hard way, so the words you’ve written in this entry really ring true.

I notice too that this entry was written in 2007. I wonder how you’re doing with the homesickness now, and the Korean language learning. I hope you’ve been getting along well after all this time! ^_^ Thanks for sharing your thoughts! A random stranger has most definitely felt comforted by them.

9. Finding my passion again
    Finding my passion again at |
  10. RICK
    RICK Published |

I’m a stranger just passing through. But I’d like to leave my thoughts. When I finished college the Air Force sent me to Japan and Korea. It then went in my ‘file’ that I had experience in the Far East. So….. I was sent to the Defense Language Institute for Korean and sent back. Then to Japan again and a Japanese Language school. I married a Korean from Japan. Upon returning to my home town in West Virginia I found myself an alien who had missed over a decade of daily changes. Friends were gone, the few remaining felt ackward around me, their new wives did not like my wife, and she loathed the bumpkins of my home town. Visits and assignments became rarer and finally non-existant. Friends from ‘home’ are all gone now, many are dead and family is dead. There is no reason to go back. The town lost industry and died in the rust belt economy. But still, the town of old, the home of old remains vivid in my memory and I think of it a lot. I miss it. But…….I can never go home again……. it no longer exists in reality. Such is the case for all of us. You can only be part of home if you never leave home. But then you miss the adventure of life. It’s a trade-off. A cruel trade-off.

11. noel
    noel Published |

I know exactly what you mean. The home that you remember and cherish exists only in your memories now. Thanks for putting it in words Justin.

12. Natalya
    Natalya Published |

I am also a stranger just passing through. I loved your article. I was googling the words “going home again” and got a hit on your article. I enjoyed reading it. Very good.

I am living overaeas right now. I chose to pursue graduate school outside the United States since it is both cheaper for me and a unique program. In the end, I also wanted another perspective. There is a lot of opportunity for me here and I want to take advantage of it.

I do, however, never see myself living outside of the US forever. I love that country and the American way of life too much. Way too much! I am from a small town in New England. Of course, when I think and talk about home, I am talking about my town and state, however, I also meant the US in general. All I know is that America is my home and always will be.

I do agree that home is where our memories are so no matter where you go or what you do, you can always go back home. Your memories will always be there, but I do really hope I could back there sometimes.

13. andrew
    andrew Published |

never ever go home again… the Far East is the place to be… forget the USA… and in particular the hick town you come from…. you will be over in within an hour of driving round… trust me, been there, done that…. and those fat American women in spandex ?? After ogling Korean women for a few years your compatriots will seem almost elephantine when you go home…. stay in the Far East, soak up the culture, and enojoy life… for it is so so short…… By the way… go to China…. it is theeee place to be…. and those northern women…. unbelievable…..

14. Adrienne
    Adrienne Published |

I also found your blog by googling “Never go home again”. I suppose it’s true but I wish I had tried before it was too late and I was too far down the path of living overseas…
    Like you, I’m a big fan of Ma and Pop shops but I miss big Shopper’s Drug Marts, the Gap, Halloween and having Christmas in winter. I never even used to like Christmas,
    The longer I live as a foreigner in New Zealand, the more a resent it!

15. Josh James
    Josh James Published |

I’ve been stationed overseas, feeling kind of homesick, and I stumbled across this blog. When you said you were from Alabama, for a moment, I felt like I was reading my own thoughts. Weird…