1. david
    david Published |

This looks great Justin. You’ve really made me think more about what a theme can and should do, and I’m pretty certain that’s a positive thing. I don’t have any suggestions because this so surprisingly nice and easy to use. I don’t know what to say other than “well done.”

2. Luis
    Luis Published |

Justin, I downloaded Structure 1.0 and have been customizing it for days now. Should I upgrade to 1.1 if I’m ok with what I have? Are there any security enhancements that I need on the 1.1 release?

Great theme, thanks a lot.

3. Tracie
    Tracie Published |

I’ve been looking for two years for something that just wows me. I finally found it. I hope it’s easy to use. Of all the sites I’ve seen, your site is the best! Where else can you get such great templates, expertise, and tips on writing. I’ve seen these offerings, but none as professional and as awesome as yours, not even close.

4. EarnBlogger
    EarnBlogger Published |

I’ve moved your comment over to the appropriate page, Structure: WordPress theme comment.

- Justin Tadlock

5. Justin
    Justin Published |

David
    Thank you. I had an English teacher that always told my class to think outside the box. So, I try to apply that to all areas of my life, even Web design. I’m still learning the system and just trying to bring my ideas out through it.

Luis
    You don’t need to upgrade. I added version 1.1 to make it a little easier for those that don’t know how to customize the theme.

This also depends on the type of customization you’ve done. If you’re just changing “style.css,” then you should definitely upgrade because nothing in that file has changed. Quite a few of the template files have changed, so I wouldn’t upgrade if you’ve customized those. There are also no security upgrades.

Tracie
    You’re welcome. That’s what this update was for — making things easier for the user. Version 1.0 was a little harder and made it so that you must read that 2,000-word “readme.txt” file. I’m trying to take a little work away from the user. Of course, the image uploading and custom fields can be a little tricky for newcomers, but you’ll find them easy once you’ve played with it a little bit.

6. Luis
    Luis Published |

Thank you Justin.

7. Gilberto
    Gilberto Published |

Hi:

Podrias publicar sobre este tema en Español?. Can you post some about this theme in spanish?

8. Justin
    Justin Published |

Luis
    No problem.

Gilberto
    My Spanish is very limited because I’ve had to switch languages so many times in my life. First Spanish, then German, and now Korean. I never learn enough of one language to use it well, so I can’t write about it in Spanish.

9. eliZZZa
    eliZZZa Published |

That makes my mouth watery >;o) Will try that maybe for eliZZZa.net…

10. Justin
    Justin Published |

eliZZZa
    Are you talking about the theme options or widgets? Well, adding either one or both is great.

You can essentially widgetize your entire site if you want to. Your “functions.php” file could get a little bulky, but you could change layout elements without leaving your WordPress dashboard.

11. Bryan
    Bryan Published |

Justin – The update to Structure is simply awesome! It’s probably THE best WordPress theme I’ve ever seen. I’ve been wanting to develop a similar theme for months now, but you’ve done it so perfectly that I think I’ll just tinker with Structure. Again, great job.

For future development… I’d suggest multiple, page-unique, widgetized sidebars. I read a great article on how to accomplish this that may be helpful: multiple-wordpress-widget-sidebars

12. Bryan
    Bryan Published |

Ah, I should add… the above is a great tutorial. But I noticed that things get rather messy when you’ve got a theme with 3-4 widgetized sidebars that you want to be unique on different pages. As you can imagine, the Widget control page gets big and potentially confusing! Unfortunately I don’t have the expertise to split the Widget CP into two or three different pages.

13. Justin
    Justin Published |

Bryan
    I originally had widgetized sidebars for each unique page (categories, archives, etc.), but decided against it because the control panel widget blocks are huge. It makes it hard to drag items from the widget box to the sidebars. It was just too messy, and that didn’t seem to fit with a theme called “Structure.” :)

I don’t think I’ll update this in the future, unless the WordPress team addresses this issue or I figure out how to do it.

I’d love to see what you come up with after your “tinkering.”

I’m trying to decide whether to continue expanding this theme or work on a new idea I have for a much better theme, structurally speaking.

14. Bryan
    Bryan Published |

Justin

I just thought of a new suggestion for future updates… how about widgetizing the tabbed content blocks? I recently discovered a plug-in that sort of does this.

However, this method uses a custom sidebar in the Widget Control Panel to “simulate” a tabbed widget. So you add existing widgets to the custom sidebar, then drag & drop the tabbed widget into an existing sidebar. This is a somewhat confusing why to go about it. And this way you can only use one tabbed widget.

But the results and there and it works! I think you could execute better though.

15. Justin
    Justin Published |

Bryan
    Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out when I get a chance and see if it’s worth implementing.

16. albert day
    albert day Published |

hi justin

super template

would appreciate your thoughts on how it could be best adapted so the right sidebar (div #sidebar) will be a fixed-width sidebar (as it is now with no change) and the left side content (div #content and the home-categories on the home page) will be liquid/fluid making the whole site elastic so it will fit in 800×600 resolutions.

in other words

1. have a fluid left content area with fixed width sidebar/s on the right
    2. allow the content column to appear first in the source

basically incorporating the ideas in http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail/ so the stucture template can fit in 800×600 resolutions and be fluid/elastic to work in both 1024×768 and 1280 x 1024

please keep us posted

17. Justin
    Justin Published |

Albert
    This idea of fluid-width won’t exactly work with this theme. It was designed on a specific three-column grid with each grid being the same width. Feel free to edit it to your liking though.

18. Duncan | Syrup&Tang
    Duncan | Syrup&Tang Published |

This is absolutely superb, Justin. I’ve just started work on a redesign of my site (currently using a heavily modified Kubrik). Part of my original design involved battling to create a fluid left column and fluid elements within the right sidebar. I look forward to trying to work the same into your fantastic theme!

19. O4
    O4 Published |

How about drop-down menus for the Page button at the top? Is that hard to do?

20. DeFries
    DeFries Published |

Love the theme. I am thinking of using it for a community website but I too am curious about the possibility to add dropdown menus for I will have a bit of static pages as well.. Any thoughts?

21. vaasu
    vaasu Published |

hey Justin ;)

i’m using your structure theme and i’ve customized the theme (hope cutomizing the theme is legal) ;)

my website is all about Indian Movies & Music. so, i thought customizing the theme will help me alot. here, what i meant by customizing the theme is nothing but changing the colors ;)

if you’ve some time, have a look http://www.indihot.com

Thanks for the Wonderful Wordpress theme.

Vaasu

22. Justin Tadlock
    Justin Tadlock Published |

Duncan
    I’d love to see what you can come up with.

Sounds like a cool idea. I actually haven’t worked much with drop-down menus in the past. I’m actually adding them to theme we’re putting together at Project Community Theme. So, it might be an option for Structure down the road.

DeFries
    I’ll honestly have to look into the drop-down menus later (see reply to 04).

Vaasu
    Everything looks good. I love the color changes.

23. smmm
    smmm Published |

hi justin, thanks to you for sharin this theme.
    i need a help for this theme.i am using your theme but when i write new post my latest post seeing the underside.i want to see my latest post upper side.

could you help me ?

24. Daphne
    Daphne Published |

Hi Justin, I like your Structure theme very much! My problem is that I have about 40 posts all with the class=”alignleft” instruction in the image code, and your theme recognises only class=”left” I think. I’ve tried all sorts of things that didn’t work. Do you have an easy solution?

25. Jocelyn
    Jocelyn Published |

I would definitely consider the Structure Theme for one of my blogs :)