1. Robert
    Robert Published |

Justin, I think there is a big disconnect though between the users “in the know” and the rest of the WP community.

Many hosts give away WP blogs for free now, and provide FTP access to the code, so they can upload plugins, themes, and upgrade if necessary.

But I think most bloggers “just want to blog”. They don’t know anything about dot releases or software development cycles. They use WP because it’s fee and it it’s easy to use.

I think the problem should fall on both the plug-in/theme authors who don’t support their product as they should, and the WP core team, for not taking the upgrading process more serious. I feel they have ignored that issue altogether, putting the onus on the user to deal with it.

I also feel the upgrade process is way more complicated than it needs to be, granted that it’s really nothing more than deleting files, and uploading them again. But the system OUGHT to do that for the user.

I do upgrade my blogs, and watch for plug-in/theme compatibility, and take that burden off of my users. But, I don’t really know that most users know anything about version x of this and version y of that don’t work together kind of stuff. It’s a bit much.

2. Robert
    Robert Published |

BTW Love the Options Theme. :)

All the new upgrade notifications are awesome.

I never did understand why a plugin-installer wasn’t part of WP. One-Clicke or Pluginstaller are perfect, and do exactly what they ought to. They notify when a new version of a plugin is available, AND install it. Simple, and perfect.

I mentioned over there, that perhaps Plug-in authors should be forced to periodically have to indicate they are still supporting their plug-ins? Sometimes, we don’t know until we have come to depend on the functionality of a plug-in, that it’s dead past WP v.x.

3. styletime
    styletime Published |

Hi Justin

Thanks for the tips I installed a copy of xampp and am running WP locally but with a test site not a copy of my live website Db.

Whats the easiest way to backup my ‘live’ WP install with Database and then install it to my local machine?

Backup the WP Db using the plugin above and import it using phpmyadmin, then copy over the whole WP folder from my ‘live’ site?

Or is there an easier way and also to easily keep them synced?

4. Andrew
    Andrew Published |

I agree that it is too easy but I am conflicted. I certainly wouldn’t want to restrict anyone, but at the end of the day there are a lot of people who just don’t understand what is going on enough to get a plugin to work with their setup.

5. hyper
    hyper Published |

Also an easy way to run WordPress locally is to use BitNami Stacks ( http://bitnami.org/stack/wordpress ) They install apache,mysql,php,phpmyadmin and your CMS of choice. I run a few of these along with some subdomains to test out installs. Once way you could run a local copy or your WordPress install is to setup an auto sync to pull down the latest from your site once a day. While that would overwrite what is local with the DB you would still be able to then try out a test version on that DB to see if it will work fine and then every night it is reset. You would need to use rsync for the files or mount your ftp server and use a sync app. I am not sure about syncing the MySQL though.

6. J Mehmett
    J Mehmett Published |

It is the same that Windows users blame Microsoft when a Trojan invades their systems.

As the above crowd commented, thousands of WP users only know how to upload a plugin/theme, how to activate it and of course how make posts and pages. Many of them do not have an idea about the term “localhost” and of course, there are many WP users who upload and activate every plugin/theme (they see) to their live web server.

As the time passes and WP evolves there are even newer users, but the more the theme/plugin developer takes care of his works, the less the users blame WP.

I would the fallowing tips:

1. Don’t upload more than your need.

Don’t use more than 5 plugins (excluding hello dolly and akismet) and 2 themes (excluding the classic theme and the default Kubrick). Use only a plugin if you think it’s very necessary for your live website. Use the theme that you tested in your localhost.

2. Always check your server settings

Your web host may change the server settings without your knowledge. If you are on a shared host, this is likely to happen.

3. Learn WP Code Language

If you don’t know, learn the basics of PHP, XHTML and CSS. You can learn them from w3schools.

Then familiarize yourself with WordPress Codex.

Cheers

7. Link Medley Blogging - Forty Plus Two
    Link Medley Blogging - Forty Plus Two at |
  8. Taiwan
    Taiwan Published |

I used the backup wordpress plugin before and it caused many hanging files and my server got pissed off. they would kill the files after I complained my sites were down. Finally I was able to figure out it was that plugin. I hope they fixed it.

9. Interesting Reads - Sep 21st, 2008 | Perfect Blogger
  10. Jaki Levy
    Jaki Levy Published |

I do agree with a few things – setting up a wordpress site has never been easier. However, I think this should be encouraged. The more users, the larger our community, which leads to feedback + innovation.

And you’ve encouraged me to backup my stuff. I just realized – I’ve had a blog for 3 years and have not backed it up once. wow. When it comes to data, Ignorance is NOT Bliss

11. Dainis
    Dainis Published |

Well, I dunno, blog software, CMS’s, all these things come and go. Right now, what I know is that I created blog.curetinnitus.org using WP. It took FOREVER to figure out a solution for subscriber-only content, and I’m still not really pleased with “hidepost.” The search tool to find plugins is very bad at finding relevant plugins. And, I really have to dig deep to get things to work in a way that “works” for me.

Now that I’ve invested so much into WP, my site hangs. I’m a pretty skilled IT fella, but really, I might just have to switch to Joomla. I’ve created a few sites using Joomla, and my experience might be unique, I’ve never had a Joomla site “just hang.” Errors, sure. Displaying improperly, of course. But just hanging and creating server errors. Nope.

How am I to find out why my WP site hangs? Days of testing? Weeks of learning and setting up a “test environment?” It hangs — sometimes, which is not something I can build a community on.

Considering abandoning WP,
    Dainis

12. Guitar Blog
    Guitar Blog Published |

Thanks for the tips. Getting your blog up and running is definitely easier nowadays. I appreciate the reminder for backing up. That is the best advice anyone can get. There is a huge selection of plug ins out there and I’m sure most of them are great. Just don’t go overboard with the installation, you don’t need every single widget out there. I know it can be tempting but having a lot of plug ins might cause more harm than help.

13. Ewen
    Ewen Published |

Thank you Justin et al for all your tips. Here’s mine …

I have a web account that allows 150 or so subdomains & 100 MySQL databases. You’d think that would be pointless but it’s actually very handy for playing with Wordpress. I just create a new subdomain, password-protect the directory (keeps Google & the unwary away) & then copy my Wordpress installation into it, copy the database, update a couple of config lines and hey-presto – I can break my ‘live’ site to my heart’s content.

Doing it this way I can test it on the production server without crashing my on-line blog. It’s a great way to play with plugins – I test them all this way before they go live.

WP-Tuner is a great testing aid.

14. John M
    John M Published |

Use Subversion with WordPress. You can easily pull the latest development version of WordPress onto your computer

–> Recent wordpress version is now automatically detect new version. Is it need Subversion yet ?

John M

15. Blog Traffic Exchange
    Blog Traffic Exchange Published |

Solid advice. xamp and wordpress works great. Also using source control is a must.

I really like the idea is have a plugin reaffirm it works with a new release. IT is almost there now. your readme file has to state it, but if what was in the readme file showed a glaring warning if it wasn’t reaffirmed to the latest version that might be good?

I have build 10 and released 4 plugins.

16. Mike Jump
    Mike Jump Published |

Well I am always on a hunt for new guides regarding all Wordpress. I love this stuff. Mike

17. PM
    PM Published |

As many fancy things we have in WP, I’m still baffled on how long it takes to perform simple tasks on it. Will consult this article in the future if I have any serious problems.

18. Ben
    Ben Published |

Working on my first wp plugin now – also working on my first iPhone app. Thank you for all your tips, awesome.

Of all things – I haven’t backed up my blog, DOH!

on it now though!

ben
    http:idigibuzz.com

19. Designer Sunglasses
    Designer Sunglasses Published |

I love this stuff. I really like the idea is have a plug in reaffirm it works with a new release. I am always on a hunt for new guides regarding all Word press.

20. Not everyone knows Collis!? | styl.eti.me
  21. Barny
    Barny Published |

Thanks Justin for a great post, a lot of useful information. Most importantly to back up the database I cant remember the last time I backed up mine.

22. Coafuri
    Coafuri Published |

I think the bast way to upgrade a plugin is by FTp.

23. HDD Mike
    HDD Mike Published |

I dont think that upgrading with ftp is better than upgrading plugins through wordpress interface.

24. zygor guide
    zygor guide Published |

Tried this, it is proven useful and helpful!

25. Mark
    Mark Published |

This is so true! On the most recent upgrade I did for wordpress one of the security plugins I had installed broke. It effectively disabled my blog. Its not the author of the plugins fault or the wordpress team fault. Its free software, its my responsiblity. Fortunately in my case the plugin author shortly updated the plugin and all was well. However I have had this happen in the past and I just have to work thru it.

If I was paying wordpress and the plugin authors a monthly fee, then that would be different. I however feel priviliged to even be able to use Wordpress and all the plugins I do that are free. So thanks to all those who develop and let me freely use it.

26. Bruce
    Bruce Published |

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I would like to make sure that I am heading off on a path that is not a waste of time and hope that someone may be able to give me some feedback.

I currently have a website that is hosted by “someone”. I am a little uncertain as I paid for someone to develop a website and it included 2 years hosting but it seems that it is may be being hosted by Site5.

I want to develop a WordPress website to ultimately replace the existing one but want to keep the old site in place until the new site is good enough to substitute.

What I have done so far is install WP on my computer and an running it as a local host but I want to make sure that the work that I am doing can be “transferred” to take the place of the existing website.

The other issue is that I will ultimately transfer the hosting of the existing site from where it is to something like Hostgator which I am using for a number of wordpress sites.

Is my logic OK? Am i doing it the right way?

Hope this makes sense!

27. Liz
    Liz Published |

On the topic of backups, I’ve been burned by not backing up my files, so I’ve learned my lesson the hard way. But why wouldn’t you back them up. Wordpress makes it so easy and automatic.

The thing about Wordpress is it’s easy to install and add plugins but if you ever have a conflict it can be a bear to figure out. Thanks for the tips :-)

28. zygor guids
    zygor guids Published |

What’s up, its pleasant paragraph about media print, we all be familiar with media is a great source of information.