1. Remkus
    Remkus Published |

It’s these little goals that make up a big one that most people don’t get. I mean, apart from not settings goals at all. Good to see you’ve made the transition from dreams to goals. It’s the best gift you can give yourself.

I was about to end this comment with Good luck on reaching those goals, but I dare say that this not what one should be saying to someone who has reached the mindset you have. So…

Enjoy the ride in reaching those goals!

2. Marlon Amancio
    Marlon Amancio Published |

Good luck Justin :)

3. onimoed
    onimoed Published |

good job justin :D

4. Sandra
    Sandra Published |

Too easy? I’m trying to eat fish (instead of meat) twice a week. Just doesn’t work … At the end Steak or Schnitzel oder (at least selfmade) Burgers win.

5. david hayes
    david hayes Published |

I completely agree with you about the big vs. small goals things. I’ve recently been reading David Allen’s Getting Things Done, and similarly he makes a point about the difference between a to do list and useful one. When most people make a “To Do” list, it’s a mishmash of big thing they’d like to do, “Write my Great American Novel”, and trivial but doable stuff like “Call to schedule a doctor’s appointment.” The heart of GTD is to make your list only smalls and doable tasks so that you’ll really be able to accomplish them and see progress rather than just feel constant stress about never writing that novel.

Your point is also the reason I hate New Year’s Resolutions (but find them a great time to discuss how to better change your life). People almost always make big absurd drastic goals and then are upset when they fail to achieve them. I’m increasingly aware that all the success I’ve had in being better at life has come from making small resolutions to act differently and continuing to work on them until they stick. It took me years, but I finally have a system to keep the house clean, and I arrived at it by deciding, for example, that the bathroom is frequently out-of-control dirty and so I’m going to clean it every other Friday.

I kinda just threw up all over your comments, but this is something I want to get better at talking about and your post provided an opportunity to try.

6. Shoetopia
    Shoetopia Published |

Goals are a great way of wanting something and motivating yourself to actually doing so. The only problem is goals are extremely dynamic and they should constantly change and adjust. The best way to do things is to take baby steps: you really want to lose 100 lbs? Start by wanting to lose 10 lbs, 15lbs, etc. and do it in steps so you don’t get bored ‘waiting’ to accomplish your goal.

It may not be the same way for everyone, but I’ve had a hard time maintaining my goals and this was pretty much the solution for me. It’s instilled in my head now, so it’s been working well!

7. David
    David Published |

goals are important, but boring.
    i use methods from the mafia manager books, by v.
    fun book.

it’s alot easier to keep up with my goals when i pretend to be a mafia who try to take over the world.

8. Tony Goddard
    Tony Goddard Published |

Hi Justin
    I’m a coach and I’d say you were spot on about goals. However I do think that whatever goals you are setting you need to feel a sense of achievement. So for you 2 fish meals may give you a sense of achievement.
    The other thing about goals is that they are a motivating force and how can you measure your success if you don’t kow how close you are to something you want to achieve?

I look forward to hearing how your new lifestyle works out

Best wishes

Tony

9. Sydney
    Sydney Published |

Great post! I think it’s very important to break down your goals into smaller more achievable “stepping stones”. I like to try and keep in mind the end result at all times. It acts as a great motivator to keep me pushing though all the little milestones.

Thanks for the post, I too look forward to hearing how you go!

10. Patricia
    Patricia Published |

May I reblog this?

11. Patricia
    Patricia Published |

Whoops, wrong account. Could you please delete the comment above? And again: May I reblog this? (I feel so stupid right now. Argh!)

12. Peter
    Peter Published |

Hi Justin,

I think we all tend to ‘slip’ with our goals and forget about our targets with all the daily distractions. One author who I have found to be particularly useful for me is Jack Canfield and I have linked to his free resources http://goo.gl/n7BBK He also has a “Recommended Achiever’s Reading List” which I printed off this morning as it lists all the key books to read.

Best wishes with your goals

Peter Bradley

13. Daan
    Daan Published |

It is always important to not lose your goals and set new goals if you reached your goals. Because it is beautifull at the top but getting there gives you the best feeling. The fun is in de climbing

14. Fluxy
    Fluxy Published |

Nice work Justin :), good luck for the next

15. Matt
    Matt Published |

Hi Justin,

That was a great accomplishment on your part. You have reached your goals now I’m plotting with a $20/day earnings on one of my blogs hope that I can reach my goals very soon.

16. Bryan McKenzie
    Bryan McKenzie Published |

I think some people are more goal oriented and need something to keep them going whereas other people are just naturally determined and seem to keep going like the energizer bunny or something. I think it’s good to place goals, but to make a goal more like a minimum level of accomplishing something, otherwise you’ll hit the goal and stop. Who really knows what someone is capable of, you know?

17. Derek Brown
    Derek Brown Published |

A journey of 1000 miles begins with one step.

I think one of the fundamental ideas behind tackling big projects is to break it down into smaller steps. A seemingly impossible task becomes much more manageable that way, sometimes it just takes someone to open our eyes to it.

18. Natalie
    Natalie Published |

I am young. I am 17 years old, but I know one thing, You must have the plan. That’s it. Most people do not have a plan, and therefore do nothing, it’s true. Justin congratulates you and wish you to achieve your goals. Natalie

19. Peter
    Peter Published |

The feeling of failure when you fail a goal can be crushing and downgrading a goal just feels like cheating. Much better to feel good about achieving and to keep it up long term than fail and give up. You can always revise goals upwards without any negative feeling

20. SteffL
    SteffL Published |

To borrow a conclusion from The Science Of Getting Rich by Wallace Wattles,

Success = (level of success a day) x (number of successful days)

Every little steps count towards the big goal.

21. 42 weeks: Fitness updates
    42 weeks: Fitness updates at |
  22. Mike
    Mike Published |

Super post! I read the book “Rework” some time ago, and this reminds me a little bit of the things I learned in that book. It’s cool to identify a big goal, but motivation is a muscle and we need to break it down into small, objective steps. Writing out each and every tiny little step is how we actually get things done. Otherwise, we run out of motivation and quit before reaching our goals. Great post!

23. Dave Cotton
    Dave Cotton Published |

Hi Justin. Thanks for sharing your personal experience with goals. I am definitely guilty of not setting enough stepping stone goals. Definitely necessary as accomplishing them provides motivation towards bigger goals. I tend to focus on the bigger harder to accomplish goals that take a long time, so thanks for reminding me I should break those down into smaller components.