Human kindness has no bounds

Little did I know that I’d be writing this post the very next day after launching a campaign to buy a home. I published the launch post at 12:06 p.m. and managed to hit the target goal of $5,000 in just over 24 hours. I thought I’d be fortunate to reach half that in the 25-day span the campaign is planned to run.

Most of this is due in large part to the WordPress community. I had some friends and family contribute too and will be eternally grateful for their help. However, the WordPress community really made this thing happen. Through social networks, mostly Twitter, you all managed to make this a successful campaign from day one.

I fancy myself a writer at times. I feel like I should be writing a grandiose 5,000-word essay on the state of humankind’s ability to be charitable and show generosity. However, I’m not sure simple words can convey my gratitude. So, I’ll do the one thing I can do right now and simply say thank you.

Campaign updates

At the time of writing, the campaign has reached $5,608.50. This is beyond anything I’d hoped for.

I will keep the campaign open for some time though, probably until after the first of the new year. Every little bit extra helps.

I’ll get to work on that permanent, public thank you page for everyone as well as the pledges I made. Be sure to email me if you want to take advantage of any of those pledges. I know some of you said you didn’t want anything in return, but I’ll be more than happy to give back.

1. Ian
    Ian Published |

Really pleased for you, Justin. Hope you hit the 10k soon!

1. Eslam
      Eslam Published |

Yea its good for him

2. Troy Christmas
    Troy Christmas Published |

Justin,

I just stopped by to check on you and ThemeHybrid as I begin a new project. I saw the post that you had reached your goal in one day. I’m not surprised though. You have added so much VALUE to people’s lives, they certainly have no issue of giving a portion back, particularly when requested and not demanded.

I’ve watched your personal and professional journey from a distance and am proud and happy for you.

Of course, I’ll chip in a bit myself for all the help you provided that was clearly above and beyond the call of duty. I’m ecstatic that you’re still around helping people. That’s what life is about and you learned it a young age. It will always pay off in the end.

3. George
    George Published |

That’s a great deal.

4. Adam W. Warner
    Adam W. Warner Published |

A sincere congrats to you Justin for reaching your goal:) I know first hand how difficult it can be to go through the home buying process and having the funds to do what’s needed sure does make it easier.

I’d like to throw something out to those reading this and “piggy back” on the generous spirit of this thing we call the WordPress community…

We’ve shared your campaign across our social channels but we’ve also been supporting and sharing the campaign by Bowe Frankema to build a WordPress + BuddyPress powered community for people with Cystic Fibrosis. It’s a very worthy cause, especially when you learn that people with CF aren’t able to meet in person because of the health risks.

I hope you and others will take a look at his campaign and consider donating his WordPress cause.

I wrote about it over at the WP Valet here:

5. Alicia St Rose
    Alicia St Rose Published |

You deserve EVERY SINGLE penny!

When’s the house warming party?
    ;)

A~ aka Intrepidrealist

6. Kris
    Kris Published |

Wait untill summer and throw a big BBQ ;)

Never considered accepting Bitcoin donations for this campaign?

7. Lakhyajyoti
    Lakhyajyoti Published |

Another very informative post. Great to know that you reached your goal within 24 hours. Wish you a very happy new year.

1. marshall
      marshall Published |

This is seriously very inspiring. Not only that someone could elicit this response from internet strangers – but that people are kind enough to give to a good cause, even when it is to benefit somebody they themselves do not know in person. Pretty awesome.

Anyway, I just thought I’d drop by and say congrats, and thanks!

-M

8. Sumit Gupta
    Sumit Gupta Published |

Very well compiled collection of thoughts on Human Kindness.It is the only thing which separates Humans from the brute.The primary principle of humanity is and always will be kindness, mercy and the power to forgive.

9. Luis - Trabajos por Internet
    Luis - Trabajos por Internet Published |

to see when I read this I was quite surprised, very clever way you have reached the people, many congratulations

10. Lani Rosales
    Lani Rosales Published |

I think it’s important to note, however, that people are constantly asking for money online – those that launch personal campaigns like yours only do well when they’ve already given greatly to their community without question… as you have!

So perhaps this is also a tale of your own human kindness…

11. Danne
    Danne Published |

Very inspiring! Cool that people are kind to give to a good cause. Awesome!

12. Tung
    Tung Published |

Congrats! I haven’t done or read anything WordPress related for months. Just wanted to stop by to see what’s up with my favorite WP dev. And boom! You’re buying a house.

13. Barik
    Barik Published |

Surprising! You have done a good Idea.

Thanks

14. Justin Elvins
    Justin Elvins Published |

Inspiring article Justin. Great name too btw lol.

15. Juan, Paquita y Agustín. Tres recorridos profesionales en la nueva economía - CoLabores
  16. Kossi Kpetigo
    Kossi Kpetigo Published |

Hello Buddy

I am one of the Wordpress community people.. Just stopped to say hi and congratulations for the support you received.. Peace !!

17. nick anderson
    nick anderson Published |

This is an amazing thing. To see people come together and help make this happen. This is a true act of kindness , :) Joy is the one word i can think of.