1. David
    David Published |

This is brilliant!

I will definitely apply this to all my themes.

1. Basilakis
      Basilakis Published |

And is it applied here?

2. Ben
    Ben Published |

I like this idea – but I don’t use a custom callback for comments, so it’d be great if there was a way to use the standard WordPress comments code, and integrate it through a hook/ filter. Perhaps some sort of progressive enhancement with javascript instead?

3. Ryan Hellyer
    Ryan Hellyer Published |

I seem to be in the minority here in the comments, but I don’t like this. I do’t think there is sufficient differentiation to show which comments and nested and from where. I could see this making it harder to follow a heavily nested conversation.

4. Dmitry Mayorov
    Dmitry Mayorov Published |

Great idea! Will see if I can incorporate in one of my next themes as well.

5. Mike Schinkel
    Mike Schinkel Published |

Love this! I agree, I have always disliked too-deep nested comments but also disliked not having threading. This seems like a great balance. Nice job.

And just thinking “aloud” based on Ryan’s criticism. What if for replies you added a 2px left border for every level of indention, up to maybe 10 levels? That would be only 20px max, but might provide some more indication of reply depth. #justathought #iamnotadesigner

6. guindilla
    guindilla Published |

Another solution would be to desincentivize the use of heavy nesting, which seems to be the root of all evils 🙂

A solution could be to make high-level comments easier to read, for instance by using an increasingly pale font. Level 1 would be black letters, level 2 dark grey, level 3 mid grey, level 4 light barely-readeable grey…

In reality, a thread is like a report. There is very rarely the need to indent more than 4 levels, and usually it’s best to keep at 2-3 max.

Granted, the solution is not for everyone.

7. kailoon
    kailoon Published |

I actually like this idea, however, I do find it difficult to ‘notice’ which comment it is replying to. But, I think it’s just minor issue which can be fix with better UI.

8. Nimesh
    Nimesh Published |

When your blogs are engaging this is the best idea to deal with all the comments. Nice idea in need.