1. Style » Newspaperize: WordPress Theme
  2. BlogBroker » WordPress Theme Releases for 10/8
  3. Weblog Tools Collection » Blog Archive » WordPress Theme Releases for 10/8
  4. Temas gratis para WordPress para el 8 de Octubre - Carrero Bitácora de los Hermanos Carrero, David Carrero Fernández-Baillo y Jaime Carrero Fernández-Baillo.
  5. nicktay
    nicktay Published |

Hi,Love your theme. Just one question, how come when I click on the Archives, say Nov 2006, only the first entry comes out instead of a view same as a search results? Any fix? Regards.

6. Justin
    Justin Published |

Nicktay, the archive has a special template (the same as the category template) designed specifically for this theme. It is meant to show the most recent post’s excerpt, then the previous posts in an unordered list below it. I hope that’s what you’re seeing.

If you want to make it look just like the search results, you’re going to have to open “archive.php” and “search.php.” Copy this from search.php:

<?php if(have_posts()) :

all the way down to

<?php endif; ?>

Then take what you copied and replace that content in archive.php. Do not delete or copy anything above those two things in either file.

7. nicktay
    nicktay Published |

Hi Justin,
    Thanks! It works now :)

8. marco
    marco Published |

I LOVE YOU, MAN!!!! Exactly what I was looking for!!!

9. Mattia
    Mattia Published |

The images appears only on single post page , i can’t make them appeare on main page!!! Very disappointed help me

10. Justin
    Justin Published |

Mattia, I’m going to need more information from you than that. You should tell me what steps you’ve tried. I hope you also read the “readme.txt” file thoroughly because it lists in detail how to accomplish this.

From what I can tell by looking at your source code for your home.php is that you have deleted the feature post item from home.php. Your images won’t show up without that. You’ll need to upload a fresh copy if that’s the case.

Looking at your single.php, it looks like you’ve manually inputted the picture into your blog post instead of using a custom field as explained in “readme.txt.”

11. Justin
    Justin Published |

Nicktay, I’m glad every thing’s working like you want it. I live to serve.

Marco, thanks. Send me your link. I’d love to see how you’re using the theme.

12. ArtZ
    ArtZ Published |

Justin,

Very nice. Thank you. I found a couple of glitches in category.php, though.

First,
    <?php if (is_category()) { $posts = query_posts($query_string . '&orderby=date&showposts=1'); } ?>
    only shows 1 post on the page. I changed the quantity to 1000.

Second,
    <!-- post -->
    is several lines too far down in the file. It is actually outside the loop. I moved it to be immediately after
    <!-- entry -->

Cheers,
    — Art Z.

13. Justin
    Justin Published |

Art, I understand how you could think that the “showposts=1″ is a mistake, but it’s actually what I intended to do.

Your category and archive pages should show the excerpt from the most recent post, then have an unordered list of later posts below that. (Two separate loops.)

I didn’t really see any problem with the “entry” div either. But, that could be because the structure is different than normal themes. Check out the demo and look at what the category page looks like there.

It can be a little confusing. It was, even to me, while I was putting it all together. If you have any other questions or problems, feel free to drop me a line. I’d be more than willing to help.

14. Wordpress newspaper theme at Delirium Propaganda
  15. K
    K Published |

Hi Justin, me again. I really like this theme, but I want to create a page for my Archives, Months or Topics separated. Is there in any way I can do these in this theme? Much appreciated.

16. April Reign
    April Reign Published |

I’m confused. I uploaded and installed/configured the Related Posts plugin…but nothing shows up.

When you say the single post.php is preconfigured this means I don’t need to edit the template as the plugin install suggests..yes?

So why isn’t it working for me?

17. April Reign
    April Reign Published |

ok added php tag now it works. Nevermind.

18. Justin
    Justin Published |

April, single.php isn’t configured to use Related Posts, but single-sidebar.php is. It pulls the related posts into the sidebar. So, if you’ve changed the sidebar, it wouldn’t work correctly.

K, do you want to create an Archives Page, Months Page, and Topics Page? Or, do you want to create templates for each of these? There are already a templates for these called archive.php (which includes tags) and category.php. If you want to do the former, I can help, but there are several different ways to do that (plugins, different ways to code and layout).

Also, category.php and archive.php have been updated (there was a small bug, well a big bug in the previous version).

19. K
    K Published |

Hi Justin, I want to create a Page template (that sits on the Top Navigation for my Archives/Post by month-days or topics so that my readers can easily browse to my old posts.

Thanks.

20. Justin
    Justin Published |

K, from what I understand, you want a link to your archives, categories, etc. on your menu across the top of the page. You need to add a link to the page you want to display in “top-nav.php” to do this.

The link code (change the permalink ID to your Archives Page ID):

<li<?php if (is_page('Archives')) { echo " id=\"current\""; } ?>>
    <a href="<?php echo get_permalink(2); ?>" title="<?php _e('Archives'); ?>">
    <span><?php _e('Archives'); ?></span></a>
    </li>

A tutorial on how to create your Archives Page and template can be found here: Creating and archive index. I personally use the SRG Clean Archives Plugin. Justin Blanton’s Smart Archives is another popular plugin.

There are plenty of other tutorials on how to piece together archives and category archives. I hope this at least helps some, or maybe points you in the right direction.

21. K
    K Published |

Thanks SO MUCH, I got it all to work.

You are so generous.

22. Justin
    Justin Published |

I’m glad you got everything working like you wanted K. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

23. S
    S Published |

Very nice! I’m looking for a way to have several columns and rows, each “cell” with an article from a different category, instead of one big section for news… Your theme is a step in the right direction for that…

24. Justin
    Justin Published |

S, use the contact form to get in touch with me. Let me know in a little more detail what you want done, and I’ll see what I can do. I’m always looking for ways to improve my themes. If I don’t hear back from you in the next few days, I’ll send you an email.

25. WordPress Newspaper And News Themes : BlogStrut.com
  26. K
    K Published |

And I’m sticking with your Newspaperize theme (including widget support). I’ve tested a few themes lately bur I keep turning it back with your Theme. I think newspaper/magazine wordpress theme are by far unique than the “default” two sidebars theme.

My question is, how do I change the text-style? Adding header images?

Thanks Justin for sharing this theme. I’ll remain loyal to your theme unless you create more (for free).

27. Justin
    Justin Published |

K, I actually have a tutorial on creating clickable header images. You might want to check that out.

When you say “text style,” I take it you mean “font family”? You can find this code under “body” in style.css:

font: 85% "Trebuchet MS", Arial, "Lucida Sans Unicode", Tahoma, sans-serif;

or this under headers:

font: 1.3em georgia, "times new roman", times, serif;

From there, you can choose your font families. However, there’s not a lot of choices with fonts on the Web. The two sets of fonts listed above are about as creative as you can get because not everyone will have the same fonts installed on their computer.

As far as more themes go, I’m actually planning on releasing a new magazine/news-style theme this weekend. It’s going to be a little more “premium” than previous themes. It’ll have a lot more features packed into it.

28. Recopilación de themes para tu wordpress » Comenta o Muere | Actualidad, Humor, Tecnología, Política, Ciencia, Música… y otros muchos temas de los que merece la pena hablar.
  29. Making money online » Blog Archive » Newspaper and Magazine Wordpress themes
  30. Wordpress themes and plugins for the week
  31. 11 Free Magazine Style WordPress Themes | Epic Web Strategies
  32. Andi Eko
    Andi Eko Published |

Hi, I’ve download the Newspaperize but unfortunately the image can’t be shown in the mainpage. The Code was

Is that code can show image ? I wonder with that code i can show my post image without change into

Thxs.

33. Justin
    Justin Published |

Andi, I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking. What code?

34. elle
    elle Published |

I am just testing this out now but I have a small problem I hope you can help with.

I don’t want the right sidebar to display on a particular page that I have. I am using a plugin called Now Reading which allows you to build up a library and has a library page (library.php) In another theme I was using, I changed it so that there are no sidebars on that page so that all the info can fit in (lists of books and covers etc), but on your theme I don’t know how to stop the right sidebar from displaying just on that page only. I do want it on every other part of the blog just not that page.

Can you tell me how to stop it from displaying on that particular page only?

Thanks

35. Ada
    Ada Published |

You spelt “newspaperize” wrong in the footer link of the theme.What you have there is “Newspaperzie”.

36. Justin
    Justin Published |

Elle, you’ll have to be more specific than that. What page? Are you talking about a WordPress “Page,” like your About page or something? The “footer.php” file is where the call to the right sidebar is.

Ada, thanks for pointing this out. I do all this work to make everything perfect and misspell the name of the theme in the footer. :)

37. elle
    elle Published |

hi,

I worked it out re the sidebar, I decided to leave it on in the end.

I just noticed a new problem though after installing your theme. I have the Ultimate tag warrior plugin with a tag cloud widget in my sidebar. It displays fine but I just noticed with your theme when you click on any of the tags you get this error instead:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wswwpx_content_extract() in /home/********/public_html/blog/wp-content/themes/newspaperize/index.php on line 11

It works fine in other themes, any idea how to fix?

I searched google and there was one reference to another blog that seemed to be having the same problem but no solution.

At the same time, I have a new problem when trying to change back to my old theme. When I select the other theme, I get this message:

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/***********/public_html/blog/wp-config.php:47) in /home/***********/public_html/blog/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 341

It does actually change the theme but I can’t see that unless I open another browser window. Everything else seems to be working normally, I wondered since they just happened after installing newspaperize, if they were connected?

I really don’t want to have to reinstall the theme if possible, thanks for any help

38. Justin
    Justin Published |

Elle, sorry about the “wswwpx_content_extract()” thing. It was something left in “index.php” by mistake. It has been corrected. However, the theme doesn’t use “index.php” because it has a “home.php” file. I’m not sure why that’s a problem.

What version of WordPress are you using? I haven’t worked with the Ultimate Tag Warrior Plugin before. I guess that when you click on the tag, it calls “index.php” for some reason. I suggest downloading another copy of the theme and uploading just the “index.php” file or copying the content of “home.php” into “index.php” in your theme now.

I don’t think the changing themes issue has anything to do with this theme. I’m not 100% sure though. I’ll look more into it when I have the time, but it could be an issue with your WordPress install itself. As in my recommendations above, I definitely suggest updating to the latest version of WordPress.

39. elle
    elle Published |

Hi and thanks

I will try the above

I am using 2.2.3 as I can’t upgrade until I am able to upgrade something else that I use.

40. elle
    elle Published |

Success! I uploaded another index.php and that has solved the tag problem.

I also solved the second problem by checking the wpconfig file and removing a blank line from the end. I don’t know why that was there as I’ve never touched that file before but there was one after the ?> and now that problem has gone away too – yay! It’s looking really cool – thanks, I love the theme!

41. Thanksgiving, Themes, and Thoughts: Friday Round Up | InvestorBlogger
  42. Ada
    Ada Published |

You’re welcome. I can imagine the stress you’ve been going through. Just a slip of the keyboard! Love your themes. You’ve obviously put a lot of work into them. All the best.

43. Free WordPress Magazine & News Themes : Profitable Point
  44. Justin
    Justin Published |

Elle, I’m glad everything is working great. That’s weird about your config file though.

Ada, once again, thanks for finding my typo. Not too much stress though. Just not enough time to do all things I want to do in a day.

45. Steve Drake
    Steve Drake Published |

Justin
    I’m having a problem with images showing on the category page. Images all work on the home page and post page.

I’m using image only, no thumbs

Steve

46. Justin
    Justin Published |

Steve, you’re inputting invalid image file names in, or rather, you’re probably inputting incorrect paths.

For example, if your image is located in “site-name/wp-content/uploads/year/month/image-name.jpg,” then you can’t put “wp-content/uploads/year/month/image-name.jpg” as the image file name. It wouldn’t work on your post pages if your permalinks weren’t set up the way the are either.

There are two correct formats you can use here. One is to use the entire image URL. The other is to use a relative path. Your image file name would look like:

/wp-content/uploads/year/month/image-name.jpg

Notice the slash in the front. You’re probably leaving that off and trying to use relative paths.

47. Steve Drake
    Steve Drake Published |

Thanks Justin, I left off the “/” works fine now.

48. Gersh
    Gersh Published |

I am so new to this, i may be asking something that has already been said, for that I do apologize. How do I take the “grey” off of the background on the page once clicked?

49. Sebastian
    Sebastian Published |

Hi Justin,

I wanna use your great theme for a new project.

In the top-navigation (home etc.), your theme shows the sites of the blog. I would like to show the “sections” in the top-navigation instead. What do I have to change in the header.php or elsewhere?

Sebastian

50. Justin
    Justin Published |

Gersh, I honestly have no idea what you’re asking. Once what is clicked? What gray?

Sebastian, to change the links in the top navigation bar, just open “top-nav.php” and put what links you want in there.

51. j. noronha
    j. noronha Published |

Hi there, thanks for this great theme.

I’ve been tweaking it a little to display an adsense ad on single, right beside the custom field image.

Link here

The problem is it only works with everything inside a table. If I use a div, as at the bottom of single, it gets all weird. Any sugestions?

52. Justin
    Justin Published |

J. Noronha, the first thing I want to say is that you need to clean the site up a bit. You have 72 XHTML errors. This can cause all kinds of problems.

I would wrap the ad in a div with a class of “left,” like this:

<div class="left">Your ad</div>

I would also give the image a class of “left” or “right.” You can do this by adding the custom field Value of “left” to the Key of “image-class.”

53. j. noronha
    j. noronha Published |

Thanks a lot, I’m going to try that. About the XHTML errors, I was checking and most of them are caused by no validated ads code (this people should go back to college).

54. Sebastian
    Sebastian Published |

@Justin

55. Randall Hill
    Randall Hill Published |

Justin
    Can you help me fix this problem at http://www.randallhill.org/RustyRails with the flv. player. If you click on the link you’ll see the video is there.

rlh

56. Justin
    Justin Published |

Randall, I don’t do support for flv players because I haven’t created any. I can give you theme support though. You should check with whoever created the player for support.

57. John M
    John M Published |

Justin: I am having trouble embedding a youtube video in an article. (probably something simple I am overlooking). It shows a broken link on the page. Here’s what I am pasting into the CODE block on the article:

58. Justin
    Justin Published |

John M, this really has nothing to do with the WordPress theme. Your code didn’t show up either. You should try wrapping it in these tags:

<pre><code>
    </code></pre>

The code I use to put YouTube videos in my pages is:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="Video URL" style="width: 290px; height: 242px; border: none; padding: 0; margin: 0;" id="video-id">
    	<param name="movie" value="Video URL" />
    	<param name='wmode' value='transparent' />
    	<param name="quality" value="best" />
    	<param name="bgcolor" value="transparent" />
    	<param name="FlashVars" value="playerMode=embedded" />
    </object>

Of course, you’ll need to change the “Video URL” to the Embed URL on the YouTube videos page. Just take the URL, delete the &rel=1 at the end, and replace “Video URL” with that.

If something else is messing the video up, then you might want to stop by the WordPress support page. A lot of people can help you there.

59. John M
    John M Published |

Thanks. I love the theme, by the way.

60. Justin
    Justin Published |

No problem, but I accidentally left a PHP tag in the code. You might want to check the edited comment. I’ve corrected my mistake.

61. John M
    John M Published |

Justin:

The “features” section is not picking up articles that I’ve put in the “features” category.

homeschooilng.redglobal.com

The fourth article is in the features category (I haven’t edited the home.php file) and it is not getting picked up by the function.

62. Justin

John M
    Maybe this has something to do with you not having “pretty permalinks” set up. I’m not sure. See if this works. Open “home.php” and change this line:

$my_query = new WP_Query('category_name=features&showposts=1');

To this (change the “4” to whatever you category ID for “features” is):

$my_query = new WP_Query('cat=4&showposts=1');

Also, make sure the category slug is “features,” not just the category name.

63. John M
    John M Published |

Changing the posting slug did the trick. I didn’t try the other coding change. Thanks again.

64. Gershom
    Gershom Published |

Sorry for the confusion a few posts back….

How do i take the grey in the background of this page out…

I’m talking about the “grey” behind the “state names”
    and also the grey out of the form on this page:

Thank you so much for your help. I am new to this, as I stated above.

Gersh

65. Gershom
    Gershom Published |

Nevermind, I am using your new theme “structure” instead. I just found it and am going to switch! its EXCELLENT!! Thank you SO MUCH!

66. Monster List of Magazine Style WordPress Themes | Play Work Play
  67. josh
    josh Published |

When i click the register button, it says:

Not Found

The requested URL /register.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

68. Justin

Gershom
    Thanks for using my themes.

Josh
    Do you have a link I can see? Is your WordPress install not in your /root directory? There’s not much I can do here without seeing what’s going on.

69. New Year : New Look | Telecommuting Journal
  70. Brad Miller
    Brad Miller Published |

How can I have the sidebar from my front page be the same sidebar for every page/post/category, etc?

71. Justin

Brad
    Copy and paste everything from the sidebar you want into the other sidebar files.

72. Brad Miller
    Brad Miller Published |

I don’t understand – how/where do I do that? which files do I modify in the theme editor?

73. Brad Miller
    Brad Miller Published |

Take a look – http://ohiovalleyphoto.com/sports/?p=44

My categories are duplicated now. Plus, I don’t know how to add this sidebar to the category page at all……

74. Justin

Brad
    There are four sidebar files, “sidebar-home-left.php,” “sidebar-home-right.php,” “sidebar-archive.php,” and “sidebar-single.php.” The first two are both on your front page. Depending on which one you want your other sidebars to look like, you must copy it.

For example, if you want everything to look like “sidebar-home-left.php,” then you must open that file and copy its contents (except for the first two and last two lines). Paste those contents into the other files (except for the first two and last two lines).

If you don’t know how to edit these files, then I suggest you simply use widgets.

75. russ
    russ Published |

Ok, incredibly basic question…but to me not obvious. I have installed the theme, but now where do I go to add content? When the default WP theme was there I had access to the administration menu’s, etc. However, now that the new theme is up, I login to it and…nothing. How do I add content, or siwtchback, etc.

76. Justin Tadlock
    Justin Tadlock Published |

Russ
    You just login to your WordPress dashboard like you normally would. This has nothing to do with the theme. It should be something like:
    your-site.com/wp-admin

77. Russ
    Russ Published |

Ok, I was able to log in to my dashboard. Still, how do I add content? I see options such as Home and About on the theme, but can I add others? Where are the pages that are linked to those menu options? Also, there are items marked Sections, Latest Headlines and Popular Stories. How do I get content under there. I have gone to the dashboard and added pages and categories, but none of these are shwoing up. Can you tell I’m completely baffked??

Thanks.

78. WebBizReviews Blog
    WebBizReviews Blog at |
  79. Do Not Read » Newspaper CMSs: a roundup
  80. Russ
    Russ Published |

Ok. I’ve figured out how to do most of what I was questioning in my ealier post. On question though…

I have created sidebar categories viua widgets and have called them Basketball and Football. I also have created lots of other categories via the manage/categories function in WP. My goal is to have a category for a sport and then underneath that category have another catagory that contains all the posts for that sport. However, what is happening is that I end up with the same category (create by manage/category) underneath the widget created category. No matter what I do I have the same subcategory under the main category., ex:

Football –> Category 10
    Baseball –> Category 10

I have tried everything I know for the last 2 days and I can’t figure out why this is happening. I want it to be like:

Football –> catgegory 10
    Baseball –>category 5, etc

You can see this on http://www.gtgametime.com

Please help.
    Thanks.

81. Lakshmipathy Bhat
    Lakshmipathy Bhat Published |

Hi Justin, thanks for a great theme. I have pasted an ad code from Advertlets. But its not aligned properly and looks off-centre. How do I correct it?

82. Lakshmipathy Bhat
    Lakshmipathy Bhat Published |

hi the Advertlets ads pasted on my website show up fine on my Mac. But when I checked it on Windows IE/Opera they did not show up. How do I correct this?

83. Eternal confusion of the Wordpress mind | Bhatnaturally
  84. Lisa
    Lisa Published |

Justin – I love the theme and haven’t had any issues that I couldn’t figure until I notice that longer posts cause issues with the footer floating up among the actual post content. Is there a way to fix this? (Thanks)!

85. Justin Tadlock
    Justin Tadlock Published |

Please take support questions to the support forums. I’m trying to move them all to one central place.

Russ
    To me, it sounds like you need to read the WordPress Codex to learn about some of the basic functions of the system.

Lakshmipathy
    What code did you use and where?

Lisa
    You might need to add one of these three lines of code to #footer in “style.css.”

clear: both;
    clear: right;
    clear: left;
  86. 3 Nice News/Magazine Wordpress Theme | Little Guy in Little Red Dot
  87. Ruben Zevallos Jr.
    Ruben Zevallos Jr. Published |

I’ll see how can I use this one… thanks

88. Volkan
    Volkan Published |

Thank You.

89. KWIZBEE » 28 thèmes “Magazine” pour Wordpress
  90. WordPress Themes - WordPress 主题列表 10月8日 - WordPress中文站
  91. Fine
    Fine Published |

I love this theme so much! Thanks!

92. Nixx
    Nixx Published |

Live Demo – Error establishing a database connection :(

Ru: a tema ochen horoshaya. Avtor molodes.

93. Gershom
    Gershom Published |

I’d like to go back to this theme. If I switch, will my “blocks” remain intact for the transfer over? I mean all of the “text” blocks, links etc. I don’t want to lose all of my information.

94. Gershom
    Gershom Published |

Nevermind, something happened last night and its all gone. I have to start from scratch. I wish I was as computer savvy as you.

95. ashish
    ashish Published |

demo is not work plz check link

96. Newspaperize | Wordpress themes
    Newspaperize | Wordpress themes at |
  97. Luis Gross
    Luis Gross Published |

Hey I saw the theme in a preview page before I got here;it looked really good, but I can’t see the live demo! Something is wrong. I’m getting an error message!

98. albüm dinle
    albüm dinle Published |

Thanks. very nice template.

99. John
    John Published |

When the demo can up again Justin?

100. Dr. House
    Dr. House Published |

You have some problems with demo:
    Error establishing a database connection
    Best…

101. Magazine Style Wordpress Theme Complete List | Dimla
  102. Popular Technology
    Popular Technology Published |

Can anybody give a link a demo? even to a newspaperize modified theme… i want to see it action :)

103. Aras
    Aras Published |

yep. pls give a link a demo..?

104. Blog.Lalala»Archivo del blog » Themes y mas themes para WordPress
  105. Robby
    Robby Published |

Nice theme. I’m going to use this one with my Mesothelioma site. I been looking for a magazine style theme that would be easy to blend in Adsense. Thanks.

106. Free WordPress Magazine And News Themes | Profitable Point
  107. Jade
    Jade Published |

thanks for a great theme. btw, demo doesn’t work?

108. Memur
    Memur Published |

Nice theme. I’m going to use this one with my Mesothelioma site.

109. Demircan Celebi
    Demircan Celebi Published |

Nice theme :). Thanks.

110. PamLMathews
    PamLMathews Published |

Is this updated for the latest version of Wordpress?

111. niki
    niki Published |

I saw the demo of this theme from another website because link above not show me.
    but really nice theme Justin, good work :-D