Cleaner Gallery gives you complete control over your WordPress galleries. It provides a valid XHTML solution and supports many different Lightbox-type image scripts.
Why I made this plugin
Now, you upload that first set of pictures to only find that there are a lot of problems:
- The gallery shortcode outputs invalid XHTML.
- It injects style rules in the middle of the page.
Even when you specify to use the thumbnail, it only resizes your image, which causes some problems with page load times.(Fixed in WP 2.5.1)
- You’re happy that you have the new feature but are still a bit unsatisfied.
What does this plugin do?
- Creates valid XHTML, which I know you all care about.
- Uses the image that you specify. It doesn’t just resize your very large images.
- Let’s you control the display of your images through CSS.
- Adds support for multiple Lightbox-type scripts.
Support for Lightbox-type scripts
- jQuery Lightbox
- jQuery Lightbox Plugin
- jQuery Lightbox Plugin (Balupton Edition)
- Lightbox 2
- Slimbox 2
- Shutter Reloaded
The plugin in action
Since I knew this thing would be very different across multiple themes, I decided to test it out on a few. Actually, I only have a few themes that aren’t mine, so I decided to use a few of those. You’ll see examples from:
- A very popular K2.
- My favorite Small Potato theme, Peaceful Rush.
- One of my more recent favorites from Ian Stewart, Theseus.
- And, a theme I designed for my sister called Colorful Notes.
(Click images for a larger view. Click on the captions to go to the attachment page. The examples are from the alpha version but work nonetheless.)
I think the biggest problem one could run into here is if they’re using a lot of padding or margin on their images. You might have to go into your CSS file and change that if needed.
How to use the plugin
All of the instructions you’ll need for using the plugin are located in the
readme.html file of the plugin download. It will guide you through any questions you may have.
If you’re using a version prior to version 0.5, see page 2 of this post for instructions.
Please don’t use my contact page or the comments section below to ask support questions. Use my support forums at Theme Hybrid, which is where I handle all support questions for my WordPress projects.