1. Frank
    Frank Published |

Jusin,

Your description really hits home. I moved out to Taiwan from the states a couple of years back and love it here.

Might I suggest a visit to Taiwan next. The food and the people are wonderful and the island is a great place to explore.

My wife and I have an empty room and plenty of jobs that need coding ;-)

Frank

2. avr
    avr Published |

justin…

i also lived overseas for a year – europe is a bit different than asia, i’m sure. but – i can really to how you’ve seem to have grown to love a new culture. it won’t take long before you’re making plans to escape the states again. we’ve been back for a year and can’t wait until we can move back to europe.

now…if only the exchange rate were just a bit better.

3. Roman
    Roman Published |

Every end is a new beginning. I moved a lot and every time it hurts, but it is exiting at the same time since it is a new chapter in your life.

Good luck with everything and thanks a lot for your work with Worpress theme.

4. EmmaB
    EmmaB Published |

At least you had good times and have a lot more people to call friends. Things in both Canada and the US are bad econmicolly right now so be prepped for that. Gas prices are nuts now!

5. Small Potato
    Small Potato Published |

hey justin. i’m looking for a travel buddy. it’s a bummer i couldn’t drop by seoul. sorry dude.

i also need a partner for a wp project (long term, fast paced, time consuming). if you’re interested, let me know where we can discuss details (alternate email) because your main inbox seems full.

6. Remkus
    Remkus Published |

“I’d marry about 50% of the female population here — no questions asked.” — lol

I have done a year abroad myself and I can relate to your story very well. I’m still thinking of trying to find a way to go back ;)

7. J Mehmett
    J Mehmett Published |

Wow! You are feeling homesick early, Justin. This post evokes my adventures to the southern Africa a couple of years ago. I was not feeling a homesick like you, because I didn’t have grandparents waiting me at home. However, I come back because of feeling huimilated refugee :(

Sure you’ll get a number of chances for ThemeHybrid, you’ll attend WordCamp when you get there, and there are lots of things you are having in the mind, right?

Anyway, hope you’ll explore Africa, next time. We have great things to experience in the Safari… :D

Good luck

8. SinDe
    SinDe Published |

Justin,

As an older woman who spent many years traveling and working abroad, I can tell you that you will enjoy your return home, but within a month or two you will be ready to continue the exploration of the world.

I can remember the first time I was asked to select a live snake for my soup in Singapore, or seeing the poverty in Liberia while I stayed in a hotel with gold fixtures, and the years I lived in the Lake District in U.K. and on and on and on. I blame my gypsy blood on my father who showed me a globe when I was a child and read to me from National Geographic about pyramids before I could read.

Like you, at a young age I took a job abroad for the money. Then, I fell in love with the world. Don’t look at your return to Alabama as an end to a wonderful adventure. Look at it as recharging yourself for your next. There will be more. Once it “gets in your blood” your feet will begin to itch more frequently and with more intensity.

As unsolicited advice, I would only suggest that we live in a wonderful world and with the Internet and global transportation, you can live anywhere and work from almost anywhere. You are an ambassador for the U.S. whether you see that now or not. People like yourself and others who travel with a purpose can bridge more gaps than any government can possibly accomplish.

Enjoy life!
    SinDe

9. Altona
    Altona Published |

Hi Justin,

Well I can certainly relate to your mixed feelings about leaving Korea. I initially went up to South East Asia on a contract, but found that when I returned home I just could not settle and ended up going back up there for another 10 years.

I also found that there were far more entrepreneurial opportunities for me in South East Asia and plus the satisfaction of teaching people from other countries.

As for being able to marry 50% of the female population, I can certainly relate to that, and in fact, I did end up marrying one and we have now been together for 12 years and have 4 kids.

I have lived and worked in the US, UK, Hong Kong, Philippines and Thailand, plus travelled extensively through Europe the US and Asia, but I have to say that Thailand is definitely my favourite country (outside my own).

I know it’s a cliche but the world really is your oyster, and there is just so much to see and do and people to meet – and once it is in your blood it is hard to remove.

Good luck and best wishes with whatever you do.

10. Harmony
    Harmony Published |

Hey Justin,

I don’t normally make comments as I would only make a fool of myself. I read your blog to keep “trying” to learn…but on this I can comment.

Things don’t normally come to an end…you will be surprised at how this time in Korea will knit into the rest of your life in ways that will amaze you.

Your fan,

11. Armen
    Armen Published |

Hey Justin, I know precisely how you feel. I left South Australia in June much the same way. You feel very much torn, but there’s nothing you can do about it.

What helped me to see the positive side was realising that it could be worse; I could have hated the experience and pined for home. I think that would be worse.

12. Preview of a red Options WordPress child theme
  13. Lady G~
    Lady G~ Published |

When my Knight and I were stationed in Europe, we took advantage and traveled as much as we could. We were there for a little over 2 years. When we got orders to move back to the states, he contemplated extending his tour in Europe. But it we knew it was time for us to “go home”. We fell in love with the people and the culture. That was 23 years ago. We hope to one day go back. But we’ll always have the memories.

Once you’ve been bit by the traveling bug, you can’t help but continue to travel. :o) Awesome adventures are waiting for you…

14. Kontan
    Kontan Published |

Hope your trip back to Dixie is a good one.

15. Anonymous
    Anonymous Published |

Haha…freakin whiteboys and asian girls, classic! Just kidding, I’m one to talk…
    Seriously, you should have hooked up with a nice girl there, I don’t know why you didn’t!

16. Dan Bowen
    Dan Bowen Published |

Justin,

I know this is late by a few months but I just wanted to say that reading your words on your attachment to the place you called home for a year, has helped me.

Just like you did, I will be leaving the country in about a month to teach English in South Korea. I will be placed in AVALON School of Enlgish in Anyang City. I have been apprehensive about my upcoming trip and after reading your farewell blog, it has put some ease in my mind. I have been worried about not knowing any Korean or having any connection to the outside world other than my laptop.

If you have any suggestions or tips on how to prepare myself for this, I would much appreciate it.

17. Glass work
    Glass work Published |

Grandmothers cook the best ;) !