Thursday Thirteen - Great Quotes
This week I’m picking out 13 great quotes. Honestly, there’s too many to narrow down to a list of only 13, but I’m going to present you with at least a small fraction of great words once said or written.
It was actually really hard to pick these out of the many quotes I have saved in several text files. So, any favorite quotes yourself?
- ~ William Ernest Henley (Invictus) I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- ~ Glory (Buffy The Vampire Slayer) Funny. 'Cause I look around at this world you're so eager to be a part of... and all I see is six billion lunatics looking for the fastest ride out. Who's not crazy? Look around. Everyone's drinking, smoking, shooting up... shooting each other, or just plain screwing their brains out 'cause they don't want 'em anymore. *I'm* crazy? Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind. 'Cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
- ~Lestat (Anne Rice, Interview With A Vampire) Evil is a point of view. God kills indiscriminately and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves.
- ~ David (Tom Cruise, Vanilla Sky) Isn't that what being young is about, believing secretly that you would be the one person in the history of man that would live forever.
- ~ Rumi What I want is to leap Out of this personality, And then sit apart From that leaping. I've Lived too long where I can be reached.
- ~ D. T. Suzuki When we start to feel anxious or depressed, instead of asking, "What do I need to get to be happy?" The question becomes, "What am I doing to disturb the inner peace that I already have?"
- ~ Oscar Wilde (The Importance of Being Earnest) If I am occasionally a little over-dressed, I make up for it by being always immensely over-educated.
- ~ Aldous Huxley An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.
- ~ E. M. Forster If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country.
- ~ Ray Bradbury You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.
- ~ John Steinbeck It seems to me that if you or I must choose between two courses of thought or action, we should remember our dying and try so to live that our death brings no pleasure on the world.
- ~ C.S. Lewis Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket--safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.
- ~ William Shakespeare (Julius Ceaser) There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. But omitted, and the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat, and we must take the current when it serves --- or lose the ventures before us.