Structure WordPress theme version 1.2 release
![Structure WordPress theme: Version 1.2“](/user/media/2008/05/structure-update1.jpg“ title=“Structure WordPress theme: Version 1.2)
Here it is.
The Structure theme update many of you have been waiting for is finally here. After 21,627 downloads, I figured it was about time.
Notes: This update is for WordPress 2.5 only. I still need to get a proper demo back up on the normal demo site, but for now, I put the demo on the Options theme site.
Ask support questions in the support forums.
What's new in this version?
The first thing I did was clean up the code quite a bit. There’s no longer all that messy code for custom fields in all the files. I’ve cut that down to a single line.
Anyway, here’s a list of new features:
- New home page tab sections (more about them below).
- Improved widgets.
- New sidebars that you can widgetize. You're no longer limited with a single widgetized sidebar.
- Every page has two widgetized sections at the bottom that you can personalize.
- WordPress 2.5-ready for gallery images.
- Comment and author archive gravatars.
- Template files for nearly anything (tags, categories, authors, and more).
- New theme settings that you can choose from.
- Cleaner stylesheet.
- Print stylesheet also included.
- Ready for translations (I hope).
- I'm sure there's more, but this list could get long...
The main thing I wanted to do with this update was clean up the code and make it easier to edit. The next goal was to make it more widgetizable, which was the original plan for the theme.
New home tab sections
Many of you have asked for some of the post tab sections that are included with the Options theme. Well, you’ve got some new stuff to look forward to. You can configure these tab options to use either Categories, Tags, or Authors in a file called
- Post Tabs These display your latest posts with a thumbnail.
- Post Block Tabs (previously Category Tabs) These tabs display your latest post in side-by-side block format along with a thumbnail.
- Post List Tabs These tabs display your latest post with a thumbnail on the left and a list of other posts to the right.
Images are now much easier to attach to posts
My new script I mentioned in the last post is now a part of this theme.
You can use custom fields the way you always have, so it’s backwards-compatible with your old images. You can also decide not to use custom fields. If you decide not to, then you still have to upload an image to that particular post. Be careful though because the new script will pull the first image attached to your post to use.
I’ll have to go into more detail with this in the instruction manual.
Test this thing out already!
I’ll be updating the online instructions in the next couple of days to reflect the new stuff in this version. For now, just use the forums to learn about new features and how to use them. It shouldn’t be too different from what you’ve seen before.
I’m sure there are bugs, so just report those in the forums, and I’ll take care of them as soon as possible.
If you’re updating, you should delete all your old files and start fresh. Just make backup copies of the changes you’ve made to your current version.
Anyway, enjoy the theme.