1. Paul
    Paul Published |

The Workout theme sounds like a fantastic idea that would be hugely popular. Really looking forward to hearing about your progress.

All the best with you and your sister’s new fitness regime.

It sounds like you have a lot of background and knowledge in the area, but by far the best of the many marathon training resources I’ve looked at over the years is “How To Train For Your Best Marathon”.

Good luck to you both!

2. James Mann
    James Mann Published |

I am in my mid 50s now but up until I got into computers at age 30 I was in excellent shape. I had no education as I quit school in grade nine, back in 1969. All the jobs I had were very hard physical work so keeping in shape was easy.

Once I found computers and became addicted to learning all about them I started sitting more and then the pounds started adding up.

Finally, 5 years ago, I had a heart attack. Well that snapped me out of just sitting on my butt, almost permanently. Now I walk about 40 minutes a day when possible.

An exercise plan is a great thing as long as it gets used. :)

3. kd
    kd Published |

Good luck on working out. I feel you regarding getting to comfortable at the computer. This past year I completed 3 books and 1 teleplay in between school (online classes) and a full time accounting job (DESK WORK) so I’m sitting on my beeee hind, all day and gained quite a few pounds. So it’s back to working out for me too and you’re right, time is not an excuse ;-) Good luck & best wishes to your sister!

4. Bonnie
    Bonnie Published |

Super idea! There are loads of fitness journals out there, crammed into WP or Blogspot pages, but no themes that I can think of that make it easy to note stats.

My own WP fitness journal is kind of a pain because I’ve got to put daily workout stats in tables, not to mention before and after measurements/weight, etc.

I don’t know how you would do it, but here are some features that would be fun: a way to note workouts (reps, sets, weights), a way to show if you’re on target to meet your goal or not, a flickr kind of way to show your Fitday account diet charts (taking screen shots is a pain), a “ounces of water consumed” kind of chart, maybe boxes to hold info about your workout program du jour (although pages can be used for that, I know.)

BFL is very effective and a great program. I also like the New Rules of Lifting. And I’m having great success with the TNT Diet.

And damn, I sure do talk a lot.

5. Stu McLaren
    Stu McLaren Published |

Justin,

All the best in your efforts. It’s amazing what a bond you can build with your readers by sharing an experience like this.

A good friend of mine (Robby LeBlanc) is doing the same thing on his blog call FatToFit101.com. He’s been up and down since January but now things are really starting to move in the right direction because he’s constantly being encouraged by his friends/family and people leaving comments on the blog :)

You gotta love blogging!

6. Anonymous
    Anonymous Published |

Hey Justin, nice post. You’re about the same height I am (6’3″), but I’m about 170 lbs. But I have a smaller frame most likely. I’m mostly a basketball player, I’d probably be too delicate for football. I used to be a competitive swimmer, but now I just play basketball and do relatively light weightlifting, and jumprope for endurance. Jumprope is the best for controlling your weight in my opinion, especially if you work a lot and don’t have a lot of free time. That or swimming, but finding a pool can be tough. I eat very healthy, but I eat a lot. I’ve never had a weight problem, but I’ve never been all that strong either. I think the most important thing is finding a routine that you are going to be able to do for the rest of your life. That includes how you eat, your exercise, and the time you have.
    That’s why there are some guys who play basketball with us who never really lose weight, even though they play all the time. Playing basketball for an hour 2-3 times a week really isn’t doing much. That’s why I go back to jumprope and swimming, you burn a lot of calories in the shortest amount of time. 1/2 hour of jumprope is like two hours of basketball, especially if you’re not a high flyer.

7. Mayur Somani
    Mayur Somani Published |

Can I steal this great idea of yours?
    ;)

8. Scott Roberts
    Scott Roberts Published |

Terrific story, Justin. I know what’s it’s like to sit in front of a computer and do nothing, and gain 30-40 pounds over a period of several years. I decided to get myself back into shape in 2004, lost over 30 pounds, and I’m in the best shape I’ve been in since high school (maybe even better, perhaps). Best of luck to ya.

9. Fitness Buff
    Fitness Buff Published |

I fell out of fitness after working as a personal trainer at a crap gym that just de-motivated me beyond belief. It took 6 months without working out, and the inspiration to blog about my ‘come back,’ that got me back on the fitness track. I started away from the gym doing workout DVDs from Netflix, intermingled with some workouts from my own DVD library. Slowly I got over my anti-gym views and joined a nice gym not far from my home.

It’s been over a year since I started my blog and it has been very rewarding, not just because people I don’t even know read my posts – which still blows my minds – but because my health is much better because of it. So, thank you Wordpress. :)

Thanks for the post Justin. All the best,